I recently bought some of the Ella’s Organic “Nibbly Fingers,” both the Strawberry/Apple and the Mango/Carrot, and Elliott LOVES them. But they are so expensive! Taking a quick look at the ingredient list inspired my “can-do” attitude, and I set off to accomplish creating my own, homemade nibbly fingers for my too-busy-to-sit-down-for-meals toddler.
I looked at the ingredients on the Ella’s box, and scrounged around in my pantry, as this was a whim 🙂 and here’s what I came up with:
1 c ground oats (I ground old-fashioned Quaker oats in my Baby Bullet)
1/4 c raisins
1/4 cup steamed zucchini
a handful of blueberries
4 Tbsp coconut oil
1. Grind your oats in a blender or food processor
2. Puree your fruits & coconut oil into a paste
3. Fold the oats into your wet ingredients until it forms a “ball”
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, as these will be sticky
5. Form the dough into 2″ long, 1/2″ thick bars
6. Bake the bars at 400 degrees F, for 15-20 minutes (I did 15 minutes, but if your oven cooks slowly, you might want to go for 20)
They came out perfectly! Well, not the density of the Ella’s bars, but they are naturally sweet, chewy, and they even have some vegetables in there! My daughter loves them (and I didn’t mind them either).
Well, happy baking. Let me know if you try the recipe, or if you make any changes. I’m not a professional!